Guided Learning Centre
Extending Villanova's core values of unitas, veritas, and caritas (unity, truth, and love), the Guided Learning Centre (GLC) provides identified students with necessary supports to help them achieve their potential. In the GLC, students further develop note-taking, reading, writing, and studying strategies. GLC staff engage students in one-on-one assistance with time management, organization, and motivation. Students will gradually learn how to become self-sufficient learners who have confidence in their ability to achieve their goals.
The goal of the Guided Learning Centre is to assist exceptional students by providing them with:
- One-on-one services to aid:
- the organization of course material: monthly locker checks, weekly binder checks, the use of monthly calendars and agendas for time management.
- the attainment and retention of course knowledge: goal setting, use of writing strategies (inspirations software), use of reading strategies (RAP, SQ3R, Cornell Notes...)
- the development of study strategies: an 'ongoing mind map' for each course, creation of prompt sheets.
- A separate exam centre with unique supports.
- GLC-created Learning Portraits for exceptional students that outline a series of strategies to support these students within the classroom.
Students who are identified. These students are then paired with teachers qualified in their subject areas. They work with students on a one-on-one basis.
Support occurs inside the classroom through accommodations implemented by individual teachers who promote inclusion. Support also occurs in the GLC classroom where one-on-one services are offered to help students gain necessary skills such as organization and time management.
The GLC program has two branches: it is a withdrawal program where one-on-one assistance occurs during school hours. It is also an after school program where students attend one-on-one tutorial sessions to focus on areas of need.